Rockstar Beast Operations trains climbers to be community leaders in their community (regardless it’s VRCG, other clubs, mentoring their own friends or volunteering in non-climbing passions) so they can use climbing to benefit the world. This is a specialized mentoring program. We only train people who have the same ambition as ours to benefit and build community worldwide. If you don’t fit the criteria here and are looking for pure climbing training, please approach our friends: ACMG guides.
Rockstar is designed as a one-stop solution where we teach climbers from scratch and teach the whole progressions. Inexperienced climbers often get confused as they have to take different courses in scattered locations. We want to prevent that and make it simple. Rockstar has 2 individual modules: Ice Beast & Team Bugaboos. (scroll down to see schedule)
1. Ice Beast (January – February) trains members to be leaders in ice climbing. (FULL, check back Oct 2016)
2. Team Bugaboos (January – August) trains members to be leaders in alpine rock climbing. (FULL, check back Oct 2016)
1. Ice Beasts is a short program as BC ice season is short (Dec – Feb) and we run a tight schedule. We teach you from scratch how to set up top ropes for ice climbing, to placing screws, leading, multi-pitch… Even if you aren’t ready to lead by the end of the training, you’ll have the skills to know how to set up top rope on ice climbing and know the progression principles to eventually lead. RSVP priority given to those who can commit to the full program ( (3 weekends Jan 9-10, 16-17, 30-31 with a multi-pitch expedition weekend in Feb).
Cost: you mentor the future generation.
2. Team Bugaboos accepts a tight crew of applicants, around 10 people. It intends to be one year program where we train them and they support each other to learn rock, snow, ice climbing skills and ends with a team expedition in Bugaboos in July 18-31, 2016 (2 weeks). If weather doesn’t cooperate in Bugaboos, we will do the same dates but switch to other alpine objectives. You can find the training schedule below.
Cost: you mentor the future generation.
Applications are open to all and done on this page. Apply BEFORE DECEMBER 15, 2015. We select applicants based on the following criteria:
– skills pre-requisite: know how to: lead belay, set up & clean anchors, climb 5.9 clean in the gym, no prior ice climbing experience required.
– character, community reputation, climbing experience and safety record within the past 3 years
– endorsement from current VRCG Leaders or any reputable person in the global climbing community
– share our mission & values as in About Us
– volunteering experience at VRCG, climbing community and/or non-climbing settings within the past 3 years
– future plans in volunteering at VRCG and/or climbing community
– future plans in outdoor climbing
Application (same for both modules): Answer the following questions & e-mail to email@example.com BEFORE DECEMBER 15, 2015)
1. Name, e-mail, phone number, city you reside, emergency contact, any medical/medication/allergy concerns
2. Describe your climbing experience (rock, snow, ice)
3. Endorsement from current VRCG Leaders or any reputable person in the global climbing community
4. Volunteering experience at VRCG, climbing community and/or non-climbing settings within the past 3 years
5. Future plans in volunteering at VRCG and/or climbing community
6. Future plans in outdoor climbing
7. Do you meet the skills pre-requisite
8. We purchased ice tools for this program and we charge $10/day/participant for ice climbing events to recover the cost. If you have your own tool, you don’t need to pay.
9. Feedback for ROCKSTAR BEAST OPERATIONS?
|OVERVIEW OF CLIMBING SEASONS|
|Outdoor Rock Season||Outdoor Snow & Ice Climbing Season|
*lead without fear = lead climbing training (download Program Guide)
*ice climbing (download Participant’s Guide)
*RAMPAGE = weekend beginner’s friendly outdoor rock trip
|2015||General Training (OPEN TO ALL)||Dates||ROCKSTAR BEAST OPERATIONS|
|October||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval & Base5), weekend rampage||Oct 29 Thu Base5|
|November||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval), weekend rampage||Nov 12 Thu Oval|
|December||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval & Base5), weekend rampage||Dec 10 Thu Oval|
|2016||January||Jan 21 Thu Oval||Ice Beasts: 3 Ice Climbing Training weekends: Jan 9-10, 16-17, 30-31Team Bugaboos: Rescue Skills: 4 evening 6pm rope skills @ park + 1 day crevesse rescue & snow travel at Mt. Seymour: Jan 19 Tue, 20 Wed, 21 Thu. 22 Fri evenings + 23 Sat crevesse rescue|
|Februaray||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval & Base5)||Feb 4 Thu Oval, Feb 18 Thu Base5||Ice Beasts OBJECTIVE Feb 6 weekend (e.g. Rambles 3 pitch WI3)|
|March||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval & Base5), weekend rampage||Mar 3 Thu Oval, Mar 17 Thu Base5|
|April||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval & Base5), weekend rampage||Apr14 Thu Oval, Apr 28 Thu Base5|
|May||bi-weekly lead without fear (Oval & Base5), weekend rampage||May 12 Thu Oval, May 26 Thu Base5||Team Bugaboos: Rescue Skills: 4 evening 6pm rope skills @ park, 1 day at Squamish
May 24 Tue – 27 Fri evenings + 28 Sat
|June||weekend rampage||Team Bugaboos: Every Sat of the month training; 1 day trad + aid training at Squamish June 11 Sat|
|July||weekend rampage||Every Sat of the month training until Team Bugaboos OBJECTIVE Expedition (e.g. Bugaboos) July 18-31 (2 weeks)|
|August||weekend rampage||Choose your volunteering|